Following the successful campaign to block the planning permission for the New Barnfield Incinerator, the following motion has been proposed for debate at the Hertfordshire County Council's (HCC) full council meeting:
This council notes the Planning inspector's and Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government's decisions to refuse planning permission for the "Recycling and Energy Recovery Facility" at New Barnfield.
This council resolves to request that cabinet:
- Accepts the decision and institutes a fundamental review of waste management in Hertfordshire to reassess the most appropriate current approach and locations for waste management in the county, properly consulting the residents of Hertfordshire about how their waste should be dealt with.
- Apologises to all council-tax payers in Hertfordshire and recognises the frustration of residents that so much taxpayer money has been spent both by the county council in pursuing this project and additionally by Welwyn Hatfield Borough, Town and Parish councils for legal representation at the Public Inquiry.
- Ensures that responses to future consultations are not simply ignored.
- In line with the Inspector's report, ensure "The [understandable] frustration and disillusion with the processes of procurement and planning that has been expressed by the local community..." (Inspector's report, para 1066, line 7) is addressed properly in future."
- As a democratically elected body, in future, make all significant decisions themselves, rather than seeking to outsource decision-making to unelected private companies
Proposer: Cllr Paul Zukowskyj
Seconder: Cllr Malcolm Cowan